As expected, Gears of War 2 now stands as the most popular game on XBOX Live. Interestingly, the original Gears of War title still holding on to the #5 spot.
1. Gears of War 2 (1000)
2. Call of Duty 4 (980.60252672498)
3. Halo 3 (844.8850016197)
4. Fable II (468.79170715905)
5. Gears of War (432.95108519598)
6. Fallout 3 (355.4130223518)
7. CoD: World at War (211.92095885973)
8. GTA IV (209.88662131519)
9. Madden NFL 09 (195.94428247489)
10. Rock Band 2 (192.08292840946)
11. Guitar Hero III (175.4713313897)
12. Guitar Hero World Tour (148.44185293165)
13. Saints Row 2 (146.5889212828)
37. Geometry Wars Evolved² (33.391642371234)
While the addictive and sublime Call of Duty 4 has held on to the top spot for some time, many folks may not remember that take-up of CoD 4 was originally quite slow. In fact, big box retailers such as Circuit City had ordered far more copies than the actual demand. Gamers were all Clancy'd out and CoD4 didn't appear from the outside to deliver anything different. Within a few weeks of release, you could buy CoD4 for as little as $35 with these discounts.
Sure, #7 is a fine place for Call of Duty: World at War to land after 3 days of availability, but Gears hit that within hours of release. Out of my own maxed out play list, no one is playing WaW. At this point, it will be interesting to see how word of mouth affects the popularity of the title and if we see the same kind of discount activity. We'll see how things look next week.
Thank you and... don't pwn alone(tm)